Vintage

Major Grape

ABV

Bottle Size

Producer

Type

SKU

2018x

Chardonnayx

13%x

75x

Domaine Ferretx

Redx

1465x

Domaine Ferret Pouilly Fuissé 2018

France / Burgundy

Andy's Tasting Notes

A hugely respected producer in this region making exemplary Pouilly Fuissé from old vines in excellent vineyard sites, meticulous wine making and the knowledge gained over 180 years of wine production in this region.

A blend of the best parcels – half of the blend aged in 2-5 year old barrels and the results shows great balance between weight and freshness.  Layers of subtle notes combine stone fruits, acacia flowers and spiced hazelnut butter.

Production notes – Soil: Within this one cuvée you can find a snapshot of Fuissé’s geological complexity. A third of the vines are grown on west-facing granit soil – a mixture of schists, volcanic sedimentary sands and rhyolitic tuff – the remainder, which face east, are mostly planted on limestone and Jurassic marls, but there are also some deposits of clay.

Production notes – Vines: Planted between 2017 and 1947, a little more than 70 years separate the youngest vines from the oldest. The average age is 40 years. You might like to know that one of the oldest plots used in this cuvée (Les Vernays, planted in 1955) is the source of the massal selection made by the domaine.

Production notes – Vinification:  Just over half the wine (55%) is matured in stainless steel tanks, and the remaining 45% in barrels, none of which are new (2nd to 5th use only). Bottled in November 2019, with the waning moon, on a fruit day.

All Domaine Ferret wines are made in a sustainable way, following organic viticutural practices.

Three labels of Pouilly Fuissé are produced from the Domaine – Classic, Tête de Cru and Hors Classé. In simple terms they represent an unofficial village, Premier Cru and Grand Cru classification based on the quality and personality of the wines produced from the different, specific sites.

We also stock from Domaine Ferret …

Pouilly Fuissé Tête de Cru Les Perrierès 2018

Pouilly Fuissé Hors Classé Les Ménétrières 2018

Price per bottle £27.00

Producer Info

With a history dating back to 1840, Domaine Ferret is a jewel at the heart of Pouilly-Fuissé, located in the most famous “climats” of the Fuissé amphitheatre.  Since 1840, Domaine Ferret has had an uninterrupted tradition of female winemakers, a tradition that continues today with Audrey Braccini – winemaker and manager of Domaine Ferret.

Audrey Braccini was born in 1979 in the Lorraine region of northeast France, where she grew up admiring her father’s dedication to cultivating his wine cellar. Inspired by his passion, Braccini moved to the heart of the renowned wine region of Languedoc-Roussillon, and enrolled in Montpellier University’s prestigious enology program. After successfully earning a master’s degree in vineyards and wine, she launched her career in Beaujolais and quickly became infatuated with the Gamay grape.

In 2008, Braccini’s talents earned her the position of director for the historic Domaine Ferret estate in the nearby Mâconnais region. Drawing on her years of experience and expertise, she dove headfirst into the regional Chardonnay and Pouilly-Fuissé appellations.

Audrey’s philosophy is to make great quality wines which are a true expression of the ‘terroir’, the vintage and her passion for winemaking. Her aim is to make the most of what nature offers, to do her best with something that is beyond our control, keeping the purity and delicacy and not forgetting that what we have in our hands is one of most beautiful gifts of nature.

 

Food matchScallops with a light cream sauce

VegetarianVeganOrganic

Awards & Critic Reviews

Cellar Selected is a trading arm of Halifax Wine Company Ltd

Company Number 09560732, VAT Registration 772 343527

Registered Office – Equitable House, 55 Pellon Lane, Halifax, West Yorkshire, United Kingdom, HX1 5SP

All search results
0